What is Help Me Grow DC?
Help Me Grow DC is an initiative that uses and builds on existing programs within the District to enhance access to information surrounding child development services , behavioral support for families with children ages 0-5 and pregnant mothers, and maternal support for pregnant mothers.
Why should I call Help Me Grow?
Help Me Grow DC helps to identify children in need of developmental, behavioral or learning supports, and connects them with community-based programs for health and developmental services at no cost. We also support parents during pregnancy by providing wrap-arounds services to support healthy birth outcomes. More specifically, the program provides:
- Screenings for health and development
- Information, resources and materials
- Referrals with enhanced support
- Enrollment in community programs
- Networking opportunities for families, service providers and community partners
What services do you offer?
All of our services are provided at no cost. We invite you to use the following:
- Information and Support: Ask questions and we'll help you find information on pregnancy, parenting tips, and child development.
- Resources: If you're looking for resources, let us know and we'll do the research for you. We'll also recommend some great community resources along the way.
- Developmental Questionnaires: Ages & Stages Questionnaires to help you know if your child's general development and behavior are on track from 1 month old to 5 years of age.
- Activities: Age-specific activities to strengthen your child's development and your parent-child bond.
Why do you offer screenings?
Screenings are a great way to make sure your child’s development is on track and to better understand your child’s unique strengths. In addition, screenings help identify areas that may need extra support. Addressing concerns earlier can help your child have a better outcome in life. To learn more, visit the Your Developing Child section.
What types of screenings do you offer?
Help Me Grow DC offers a variety of screenings to help you along your parenting journey:
- Ages & Stages Questionnaire to look at your child’s general development.
- Social/Emotional Ages & Stages Questionnaire to look provides information on at your child’s behavior and social-emotional development.
What age does my child need to be to complete a screening?
Screenings for children can begin as young as 1 month old. The Ages and Stages Questionnaires go up to 5 years old for general development and behavior.
How often do I complete the screenings?
The frequency of the Ages and Stages Questionnaires varies based on the age and needs of your child.
- Age 1 month - 1 year: every 2-3 months
- Age 1 year - 2 years: every 2-4 months
- Age 2 years - 3 years: every 3-6 months
- Age 3 years - 5 years: every 6 months
Help Me Grow DC strives to offer the Social/Emotional Ages and Stages Questionnaire to look at your child’s behavior around the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd birthday. In addition, we offer it when a parent expresses a concern. Parents may complete this questionnaire up to age 5 at any time by visiting this website.
Can I do the screenings if I don't have a concern for my child?
Absolutely! The majority of families participating with Help Me Grow DC do not have any concerns. It’s a great tool to better understand the skills your child may already have. It is also a great way to learn how to build new skills. When parents understand child development, parenting becomes easier and expectations of a child become more realistic.
How much does it cost to participate with Help Me Grow DC?
Our services are offered at no cost. We’re grateful for the donors that support Help Me Grow DC to allow families to access these services.
I've been completing the Ages and Stages questionnaires for one of my children. Can I complete these questionnaires for another child?
Absolutely! Each child is unique, including twins. The Ages & Stages Questionnaire can help highlight your child’s strengths along with any areas of development that need a little extra support. You can add a child with one of the following options:
- Complete an Ages & Stages Questionnaire here
- Email or call us to share your child’s name and birthdate.
- Complete an online enrollment form for the child.
Is this required for Medicaid, my doctor's office, another program, etc?
No. Your doctor or the person who referred you believes you can benefit from our services and hopes you will participate. A continually growing number of families find value in the services Help Me Grow DC offer.
Do you do home visits?
No. All of your interactions with Help Me Grow DC will be through call, text, or email. If necessary, we do make referrals to amazing local community organizations who provide home visiting services, such as Healthy Families America or Parents As Teachers, or may visit you in your home to provide other services.
Do I need to make an appointment to come into the office?
No. Help Me Grow DC contacts families through phone, email, text and mail. With these convenient contact methods, there’s is no need for you to pack up the family to come into our office.
How do I start?
Getting started is easy!
- Call 1-800-MOM-BABY to talk to a Help Me Grow DC team member.
- Complete an online enrollment form for the child.